Become a Sailing Instructor
Annual Instructor Clinic: April 8– April 12, 2024
Instructor Evaluator: Glenn Miner
Address of the Instructor Qualification Clinic: 101 Narragansett Ave, Barrington, RI 02806
Contact person: Mary Goff
Contact e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact Telephone Number: 401-575-0964
Certified ASA Sailing Instructors have demonstrated that they have excellent sailing skills and possess the ability to teach others. If you have the experience, now you can have the credentials to teach (101/103/104/105) which are called 201, 201, 204 and 205 instructor certifications.
This is the information that we send out to people who are interested in becoming a sailing instructor.
We strongly encourage candidates to watch the short video about what to expect: https://youtu.be/zytqb27YASo (It used to be an ASA requirement prior to signing up). The video states most candidates will be prepared with 5-10 hours of preparation/review. This is just for the 201 portion. Any additional certifications will require additional review. Please become familiar with the respective textbook(s).
You will need to have ASA 101 certification prior to taking the instructor level. We can help you with that if you do not have it.
You’re welcomed to take just the 201 or all of them.
Instructor Membership $79
April 8 – 9th 201 – $450
April 10th 203 – $325
April 11th 204- $325
April 12th 205 – $325
Just to let you know that we do need instructors for all levels, although we don’t guarantee that you can be an instructor here. We really look for people that not only have the skills, but, know how to communicate and teach well. This all becomes evident during the clinic. The good thing is, you’ll get certified for less money than if you were to take the classes. The folks that impress us, we invite to be instructors. We also require you to have a Captain’s license and to be CPR/First Aid certified.
AS AN ASA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR YOU ARE:
• Enhancing your career development potential as a professional.
• Qualified to teach and certify students to uniform national Standards which are internationally recognized.
• Playing an important role in improving the quality and extent of educational opportunities for the recreational sailor.
• A member of a professional organization which provides you with teaching materials and services, a centralized national certification authority, continuing education programs for ASA Instructors, member discounts on useful products and services, and a wide variety of other benefits.
• Recognized internationally as a leader in sail education.
You may enroll in an IQC if you have the ambition to be a true sailing professional and:
• Are 18 years of age or older
• Possess at least 3 years of sailing experience
• Have teaching experience or can demonstrate an aptitude for clearly communicating sailing to the novice and advanced sailor
• Are capable of performing to the Standards as stated in the ASA International Sailing Log Book
Questions? Interested in becoming a sailing instructor? Reach out to Mary directly at 401-575-0964 or by email at email@example.com.